Knocking this one out quick for my pal Lori, who finds herself stuck with 1 can evaporated milk & 1 can sweetened condensed, and unsure how to use. This is the BEST way, so easy, but definitely not one for people avoiding sugar.
- 1⁄2cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon water (optional)
- 1 whole egg
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 (12 ounce/410g) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce/397g) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 – 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Equipment: 1 quart round casserole AND 1 ovenproof dish or baking pan that the casserole will fit into; whisk, spatula, sauce pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 175c/350f
- Caramel: Add water to sugar in a small heavy-based pot, I prefer nonstick. Simmer over medium-low heat under the sugar melts into a golden brown liquid caramel, then remove from heat and immediately pour into your dish. Pro-tips: do not over-stir, keep stirring to a minimum or it will crystallise; be patient, and do NOT walk away. Caramel burns fast. It is easy to make, and easy to ruin. If you’ve never done it I recommend YouTube and a little practice.
- Custard: In a clean bowl, whisk the 1 whole egg and 5 egg yolks together. Add the evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk to the eggs and mix together. Add the vanilla extract, either 1/2 teaspoon or 1 teaspoon depending on what strength you prefer. Pour the custard mixture casserole dish over the caramel, which will have cooled. Cover with foil or lid.
- Put your flan into the ovenproof dish or baking pan and fill with hot water to about half-way up the sides, or as high as you can go and still move the thing without spilling hot water on yourself or into the flan.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Turn off the oven and let set for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and the water-bath and let cool. One cool you can refrigerate to plate later, but like revenge, this is a dish that must be served cold.
- Plating: Run a butter-knife around the outside edge of the flan. Place a plate large enough to handle the liquid caramel over the flan and invert. This can take a couple tries to be honest, also patience. Chill the flan for at least an hour before serving.
Basic for this recipe found all over the internet but this one adapted from Minathebrat.